9.22.2005

Peering Down from Up Above

As we all know Hurricane Rita is slowly approaching the gulf coast. I can easily imagine what it must be like as I spent many a summer in Galveston Texas in my youth. I send good-thoughts and well-wishes to those who are in its path.
With that said… what the hell is this gonna do to my gasoline bill?
I’ll admit, I don’t have much room to complain… see, I have a commuter car: A 1991 Honda Civic CRX HF that gets around 44 miles-per-gallon. I recently gave a lot of thought to how high gasoline would have to go, before my budget would start to notice the effects; my estimates, $10.00 per gallon. That would mean filling-up the little guy would cost $75.00. (I can barely squeeze $20 in it now!) Can you image gas at ten-buck-a-gallon? That’s the stuff of post-apocalyptic sci-fi movies. I spend about $1000.00 a year on that little car – most of which is preventative stuff – and each time I pay a maintenance bill, I think, “maybe it’s time.” But where can I buy a good reliable car that get 40+MPG for under $100.00 a month??? Huh?? Bueller… Bueller… Bueller…
Now, It’s not my intention to piss-off the owners of mileage-impaired vehicles, but I have noticed the higher gas prices get, the more you peer down at me while we are stopped in traffic. I know what you’re wondering – here’s the answer, “Nope, it’s not For Sale!”